The Buildings of ArtSci
0) Calvin Hall - College of Arts and Sciences Dean's Office
Calvin Hall is named in honor of Henrietta Willard Calvin, one of the nation's leading home economists of her time. Calvin was an early graduate of Kansas State Agricultural College in domestic science in 1886, and was a professor of domestic science. The College of Arts and Sciences made Calvin hall its home in early 2017, along with the Departments of History and Political Science, as well as the Pre-Health Professions, Open Option, and Security Studies programs. Advising services for Social Science, Humanities, Medical Laboratory Science, and Physical Science are also housed in Calvin Hall
1) Ackert Hall
2) Bluemont Hall
Bluemont Hall, completed in 1981, was named after the original Bluemont College. It's the home for the Department of Psychological Sciences, complete with offices and advanced research laboratories. It also houses the College of Education.
In front of Bluemont Hall stands the Bluemont Bell. Older than all of the buildings on campus, the Bluemont Bell was cast and donated to Bluemont College by Joseph Ingalls in 1861. According to documents from the University archives, Bluemont Central College, originally located one mile west of K-State Campus was in need of a bell to call the students to class. Ingalls provided the $175 for the bell and shipping in exchange for having his name engraved on the side. The bell now stands in front of Bluemont Hall, a part of the rich K-State heritage.
3) Burt Hall
4) Bushnell Hall
5) Cardwell Hall
6) Chalmers Hall
7) Chemistry/Biochemistry Building
8) Dickens Hall
9) Eisenhower Hall
10) English/Counseling Building
11) Fairchild Hall
12) Gen. Richard Myers Hall
Constructed in 1943, the military science building was the only project completed on campus during World War II. It is now home to the Aerospace Studies (Air Force ROTC) and Military Science (Army ROTC) programs at K-State.
The hall is named for Gen. Richard B. Myers, current President of Kansas State University. Myers is a 1965 K-State graduate who completed the Air Force ROTC program and who eventually served as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He served from 2001-2005 as the principal military adviser to Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, President George W. Bush and the National Security Council.
Prior to his appointment as chairman, Myers served as vice chairman and assistant to the chairman. He retired from the Air Force in 2005 after holding various leadership positions and commanding Air Force operations in the United States and abroad. Myers was Inaugurated as President of K-State on April 28, 2017.
13) Kedzie Hall
14) King Hall
15) Konza Prarie
The Konza Prairie Biological Station (KPBS) is located on a 3,487 hectare native tallgrass prairie preserve jointly owned by The Nature Conservancy and Kansas State University. The KPBS is located in the Flint Hills of northeastern Kansas, a grassland region of steep-slopes overlain by shallow limestone soils unsuitable for cultivation.
The Flint Hills region encompasses over 1.6 million hectares extending throughout much of eastern Kansas from near the Kansas-Nebraska border south into northeastern Oklahoma, and contains the largest remaining area of unplowed tallgrass prairie in North America. Hence, the vast majority of Konza Prairie, and the surrounding landscape, has not been plowed and retains its native characteristics.
KPBS is operated as a field research station by the K-State Division of Biology. The station is dedicated to a three-fold mission of long-term ecological research, education, and prairie conservation. It is a unique outdoor laboratory that provides opportunities for the study of tallgrass prairie ecosystems and for basic biological research on a wide range of taxa and processes. The station is open to scientists and students from throughout the world.
16) Leasure Hall
17) McCain Auditorium
18) Nichols Hall
Originally a gym, Nichols Hall is now home to the Department of Communication Studies as well as the Mark Chapman Theatre (formerly Nichols Theatre), and is used by the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance.
At the beginning of the twentieth century it was common practice to design buildings used by ROTC, as Nichols was, to resemble a medieval fortress. Called "The Castle," Nichols burned in the 1960's and was beautifully rebuilt in 1985. The mural in the lobby is dedicated to the students who worked to preserve the building.
Nichols was once the home of KSAC, K-State's public radio station (now KSDB, housed in the Student Union). The radio towers (1924) to the west are national historical monuments.
19) Seaton Hall
20) Thompson Hall
21) Waters Hall
Waters Hall was completed in 3 stages: the east wing was completed in 1913, the west wing in 1923, and the center of the building in 1952 which connects the two wings. The building was intended to house the Departments of Agronomy, Animal Husbandry, Dairy Husbandry, Poultry Husbandry, Agriculture Economics, and Milling.
Currently, the Departments of Sociology, Anthropology and Social Work, and Economics call Waters home. Also housed in Waters are the non-ArtSci departments of Agriculture Economics, Agronomy, Entomology, and Horticulture and Forestry.
22) West Stadium - Purple Masque Theatre
The west side of Memorial Stadium underwent a renovation in 2014 and is the new home for the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance's Purple Masque Theatre. The Purple Masque Theatre is currently used for drama therapy, workshops, playwrights' stage, acting recitals, scene rehearsals, Ebony Theatre performances and final scenes for the Principles of Directing course.
Memorial Stadium was the first memorial on campus and was dedicated in 1929. Identical plaques commemorating veterans are located on the south ends of both West Stadium and East Stadium.
Plans for the stadium began in 1922, when university leaders wanted to build an architectural shrine to honor fallen veterans. They decided that a stadium was a dignified structure which would be useful to the college and community. The west wing was completed in 1922 and the east wing was completed in 1924. The enclosing walls were added in 1928 and the locker rooms and offices were built in 1938.
The stadium field is still used for marching band practice, club soccer and rugby.