1. K-State home
  2. »Arts and Sciences
  3. »Student Resources
  4. »Open Option
  5. »Frequently Asked Questions

College of Arts and Sciences

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How many hours can I take and still be in Open Option?

    Students need to declare a major after completing 60 hours. Please note that students cannot graduate in Open Option.

  2. How many credit hours are considered full-time?

    Being enrolled in twelve credit hours at K-State is considered to be full-time.

  3. Who is my advisor? How do I make an appointment to see him/her?

    If you are an Open Option student, see the home page to find your advisor and information about how to make an advising appointment.

    If you are not an Open Option student, contact the department you are majoring in. That office should know student/advisor pairings and the office hours for those faculty members.

  4. Do I need to complete all the basic requirements before I can take classes for my major?

    No, but because many major courses do have prerequisites, you will need to complete certain basics before you can get too far into your major.

    However, there is no need to complete all your basics before starting anything else. You should start exploring your major and completing major requirements (if possible) as soon as you have the prerequisites.

  5. How do I declare a major or change majors?

    Go to the College of Arts & Sciences Dean's Office in Calvin 107 and complete a change of curriculum form. It is important to understand that K-State policy requires a minimum 2.0 GPA to move between colleges, and some programs or majors have additional restrictions and/or criteria.

  6. How do I declare a minor?

    You declare your minor(s) you must have a minor declaration form completed by the department/academic unit that offers that minor. Even if you complete the right courses, nothing appears on the transcript unless you have that form completed. 

  7. Which courses will transfer to K-State?

    You may view K-State Transfer Equivalency Information provided by the Admissions Office at www.k-state.edu/undergradadmit/transferequivalency.html

    Remember that their list is not comprehensive. Contact the Admissions Office in 119 Anderson (785-532-6250) if a specific course or institution is not listed.

  8. Will my GPA transfer from another school?

    No. Only the credits will transfer. Your GPA is only based on grades earned at K-State. Some programs may use the grades from other schools in their particular admission criteria, but otherwise your GPA is a blank slate when you enter K-State.

  9. What does it mean to withdraw with a "W"?

    A “W” does not affect your GPA, but only indicates that you withdrew from the course prior to the last date to withdraw. Any decision to withdraw should be discussed with your advisor.

  10. How many retakes are allowed, and do they erase the existing grades?

    Students may retake courses in order to improve the grades. For the first five courses that are retaken, the original grade is noted as retaken and removed from the grade point average.

    Although there is no limit to the number of times a course may be retaken, a student may retake a course with subsequent removal of the prior grade from calculation of the grade point average only once for each course, and for a total of five courses during the student's academic career at K-State