The Open Option program provides personalized support for students as they discover their major. Whether you’re a current student, new to college or transferring to K-State, our advisors work one-on-one with you as you make your transition. Students generally spend between one semester and two years working with a professional advisor to find their right path.
How do I know if Open Option is for me?
- You are interested in more than one specific major or career path.
- You have many interests to explore.
- You want to change majors.
- You are preparing to apply for a specific major or program, such as engineering, architecture, or interior design.
- You want a supportive relationship with an advisor who can help you stay on track while exploring programs.
How can Open Option help me find my major?
- Select an interest-based Open Option Track to discover majors offered in any of K-State's colleges.
- Work with an advisor who is knowledgeable about all colleges, majors and programs at K-State.
- Receive one-on-one advising sessions during enrollment periods and whenever needed.
- Navigate university structures and policies with individualized support from your advisor.
- Explore all your major and career interests without changing advisors.
Current advisees may schedule an appointment by clicking here, or by logging into SSC from the K-State home page. In an effort to maintain social distancing, all Open Option advising will be virtual through zoom, email, or over the phone.
Courage to Explore | Power to Choose
Who is your advisor?
Be sure to check your KSIS account for information about which advisor is assigned to you*. We look forward to meeting you!
Elizabeth (Elli) Hager
*If you are not currently an Open Option student, please contact the Arts and Sciences Deans' Office at 785-532-6904 to be assigned an advisor.
How to make an appointment
- Plan ahead. We schedule our appointments in advance to advise you more efficiently.
- Schedule your appointment online at https://k-state.campus.eab.com/.
FAQ's for Pre-Enrollment
How to Declare Open Option
- If your current major is within the College of Arts & Sciences, you will need to complete a change of major form in Calvin 107.
- If you are currently in a program outside the College of Arts & Sciences and wish to declare Open Option, fill out a change of major form at the college where you are currently enrolled and then bring that paperwork to Calvin 107.
Can I schedule an appointment by emailing my advisor?
No. You may schedule an appointment by accessing the SSC scheduling website: k-state.campus.eab.com.
Should I wait until my enrollment time to schedule?
No. The appointment calendar fills quickly during pre-enrollment, so it's best to schedule a meeting with your advisor in advance.
Do I need to know what classes I want to enroll in before I schedule my appointment?
You might get more out of your advising appointment if you take some time to first review interesting possibilities or visit the Career Center, but you do not need to have a list. It our job to help you figure it out.
Do I have to meet with my advisor in order to enroll?
Yes. Every student at K-State has an advising flag that must be lifted prior to enrollment. This policy is in place to ensure that students have an opportunity to receive professional guidance.
Can I enroll as soon as I meet with my advisor and have my flag lifted?
You need to wait until your designated enrollment date. You will find this date in your KSIS Student Center on the middle right side of the screen. If you are in class or at work during your enrollment time, you will want to enroll at your earliest opportunity after this time.
What do I do if any of my classes close before it is my designated enrollment date?
Wait list the class and choose an alternate. The wait list works very well and many students have success using it, but you do want to have a backup class in place. The list of courses we form together during your advising appointment will have a few alternate classes toward the bottom of the list.
If I am ready to declare my major do I meet with my Open Option advisor?
It depends. You first need to determine if your cumulative GPA is at or above the minimum level required by your intended major. You should then think about how confident you are in choosing this major at this time. If your GPA is high enough and you feel fairly certain it is the path you want to declare, feel free to declare the major and meet with your new departmental advisor. (First request to have your curriculum changed at the front desk in 107 Calvin.) If you are unsure and feel that you might benefit from having a little more time to make the decision, it is best to schedule an appointment with your Open Option advisor. Open Option advisors have knowledge about all majors and can help you choose appropriate classes.
What if I am unsure if I will return to K-State in the spring? Or I am failing current classes?
It is best to schedule an appointment to form a good action plan with appropriate next steps.
How long do I have to change my mind about courses I enroll in?
You can change classes up to the beginning of the semester. You can even change a class during the first week of the semester if you determine it's not a good fit.
Does my advisor truly care what I want to do or if I am doing well now?
YES! Your unique interests and concerns matter and my hope is that you leave your appointment feeling both heard and prepared for the next steps on your journey to becoming a K-State grad!
Exploring Majors - Decision Making Tools